Friday, January 11, 2013

She'll be Coming Round the Mountain

Whew, what a week. Cheers to the weekend! We have a wedding to attend tomorrow night which I am excited about. I love wedding receptions, especially when there's an open bar and lots of dancing. No matter what, I always request that the DJ play , Pump Up the Jam. ALWAYS.

I also plan to get some banjo practice in this weekend. Last night was my first lesson and I'm feeling pretty positive about it. My teacher, whom I'll call, Mr. Banjo, is a little scattered but seems to be effective instructor. He explained the lesson thoroughly and patiently answered my many questions which is great because I can be an annoying student. I found myself talking through the simplest of information and asking lots of questions...over and over.

We spent the first half of the lesson just tuning my banjo and getting it into playing condition. I was pretty proud when I pulled it out of the case and he said, "Oooh, a Fender. Ahh, it's mahogany." My banjo makes me proud. I learned to read some basic notes and played through, She'll be Coming Round the Mountain, which is a very beginner song. My goal for my next week is to be able to play it quickly without mistakes. Practice makes perfect! (Hopefully.)





Side note: I wrote this entire post whilst watching Portlandia. I'll probably have to edit pretty heavily tomorrow.

No comments: